Our award wining Sponge cake for those who prefer the Gluten Free option
For 10 Serving(s)
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 3 Table Spoons Water
- 4 Sperated Eggs
- 1 1/2 Cups (make sure it is not wheaten cornflour)
- 1 Tea Sppon GF baking powder
- 1/2 Tea Spoon Salt
- Whipped cream
- Peaches or Strawberries to fill
- Icing sugar to dust
Sponge Cake Directions
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray 2 shallow 21 cm sponge tins with non-stick baking spray and line the bases with non-stick baking paper.
- Place sugar and water in a microwave or small saucepan and bring to the boil. Beat the egg whites until stiff, then slowly with the mixer running dribble in the hot sugar and water solution. Beat really hard. Add the egg yolks and vanilla then carefully fold in the sifted dry ingredients. Be very gentle with the folding process. Carefully pour into the prepared tins and bake for 18 – 20 minutes. As soon you remove the sponges from the oven, drop the tins from knee high square on the floor – no kidding!. This is an odd, but tried and true sponge trick that “shocks” the cake and stops it deflating.
- Sandwich the two sponges together with cream and fruit such as peaches or strawberries. Dust the top with icing sugar. Cut with a serrated knife.