Jo’s Special Mini Pecan Pies
This is my all time most popular recipe. People from all over the country have told me that this is their party special. I’ve been making them for over 40 years. The original recipe came from North Carolina but I have adapted it so much and made quite a few changes that it is hardly recognisable now. They are always a hit and I think best served slightly warmed
For 4 Person(s)
- 125 Grams Butter ( For the Pastry )
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Cup Icing Sugar
- 1 Cup Peacan Nuts ( For the filling )
- 60 Grams Butter
- 1 Square Egg
- 1 Cup Soft brown sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
Jo’s Special Mini Pecan Pies Directions
- Spray 16 mini muffin tins with baking spray.
- Place pastry ingredients into a food processor and run machine until the pastry clumps around the blade. Divide pastry into 16 small balls and, with floured hands, press into the bases and up the sides of 16 muffin cups of mini muffin trays. Using a tart tamper makes this job easy and ensures the pastry sides are even thickness.
- Place pastry lined tins in the freezer to chill for 30 minutes until the pastry is really firm and hard.
- Divide the nuts between the pastry lined cups, breaking the nuts in half if necessary.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Melt the 60 g butter. Whisk in the egg, brown sugar and vanilla until smooth, but somewhat gluey. Using a small jug, pour approximately a teaspoon of this mixture into each nut filled cup and bake for 20 – 25 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and the filling set and crisp.
- You will not use all this mixture. There is enough for two batches. It is hard to halve and egg so in fact you have a double batch quantity of this filling.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes in the tins, until the pies are cool enough to handle. Give each pie a little twist to loosen the bottom, then carefully lift out with the tip of a small paring knife to cool completely on a wire rack.
- These are delicious served warm as a dessert. Can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. They also freeze very well