Granny’s Coconut Macaroons
This New Zealand style old fashioned Coconut Macaroon has an almond on top. This was my job as a little girl – placing the almonds “just so” on the biscuits before they went into the oven.
Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 25 minutes
For 15 Person(s)
- 3 Egg Whites At room temprature
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Caster Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla or Almond Essence
- 2 Table Spoons Flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Desiccated Coconut
- 36 Blanched Almonds
Granny’s Coconut Macaroons Directions
- Preheat the oven to 150°C. Line two oven trays with baking paper.
- Beat the egg whites with the salt until they form peaks which turn over, then add half the sugar and beat until the peaks stand upright when the beater is removed from the mixture. Stir in the vanilla or almond essence.
- Mix together the remaining sugar, the flour and coconut and then fold into the egg white mixture. Evenly spoon out the mixture into little rounds on the prepared trays. Press a whole blanched almond into the top of each biscuit.
Bake for 20 – 25 minutes. The biscuits should feel quite firm on the outside, but be chewy inside. Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container for up to 10 days.